How To Talk To Your Kid About Vaping
Vaping Among Teens
Prepare yourself for the talk (before the talk).
Read studies and do research
Set a positive example by being tobacco-free.
When and where to start the conversation.
Best scenarios to start the conversations.
- While watching TV and there is a commercial about vaping.
- When you are heading to school and see a billboard about electronic cigarettes.
- When you see someone vaping in the park.
- By showing them videos about vaping that you came across while browsing the internet
Seek additional support.
General questions asked by teenagers
Why should teens say NO to Vaping or E-cigarettes?
- Vaping liquids often have nicotine and other substances that are addictive and harmful.
- Teens are very young, and their brain is still maturing. Nicotine is addictive and can have a negative effect on their development.
- E-cigarettes can lead teens to use other substances, like drugs and alcohol, which are severely unhealthy.
- A study revealed that vaping, just like smoking cigarettes, could cause lung diseases. It damages the teen’s immune system and can make them sick.
"What is the big deal about nicotine? My friends are using it too."
- Early use of nicotine leads to a high chance of addiction.
- As a teen, their brain is still developing. It matures until they are 25 years old. Nicotine use can harm the most vital organ.
- Nicotine can affect their learning, attention, mood, and impulses. You want them to have a beautiful future.
- According to a study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 99% of e-cigarettes sold in the market contain nicotine.
"I have tried them. They are not a big deal."
- Appreciate their honesty, but let them know that several studies suggest that nicotine, one of the most prevalent substances of e-cigarettes, is addictive and can harm their body.
- Aside from the negative effects of e-cigarettes, it is costly. Consider making a bank account to save money for something they want instead of spending it on vaping.
- Ask if they are willing to learn more about the matter by talking to health professionals together with you.
Help your teen, by all means, as soon as possible.
- You can always seek help from health professionals. Talk with your trusted doctors, infact at Key Healthcare we have substance abuse treatment for youth.
- Call us today for a free and confidential consultation.