Facts About Vaping: Myths, Effects, and Risks
Vaping vs. Smoking
Debunking the Myths About Vaping
- Myth #1: Vaping is safe. The most common misconception is that vaping does not have detrimental effects on someone’s health. The liquids in most e-cigarettes can contain nicotine or even marijuana.
- Myth #2: Teens are allowed to vape. Like cigarettes, underage teens are not allowed to vape in public places. Furthermore, parents should prevent their children from vaping to avoid severe health problems in the long run. Vaping teens are more likely to develop an addiction to tobacco products.
- Myth #3: Vaping reduces nicotine addiction and helps a person quit cigarettes. E-cigarettes may contain nicotine, so it only encourages smokers to switch to another product while still being dependent on nicotine.
- Myth #4: Vaping is not expensive. Switching to e-cigarettes is generally cheaper than actual cigarettes. A smoker who consumes at least ten cigarettes a day can save a considerable amount of money. However, that does not mean that vaping devices are cheap. Most vapers want “cool” designs and styles, which are generally more expensive than purchasing packs of cigarettes.
Health Risks and Dangers of Vaping
Is Your Teen in Trouble for Vaping?
However, as of March 2021, at least 15 American states allow vaping while upholding the law for smoke-free indoors, including California. Different localities and communities in California impose different restrictions on the use of e-cigarettes. The entire state prohibits the use of e-cigarettes in workplaces, hospitals, daycare facilities, food facilities, Farmers’ Market (within 25 feet), cars (with minors), public transportation, and school playgrounds.
Symptoms of Vaping in Teens
Ways to Punish Your Teen for Vaping
Vaping at Home
Vaping Within School Premises
What Happens if You are Caught Vaping?
How Can You Discipline Your Vaping Teen?
- Communicate — Talk with them sincerely. While they must understand what will happen if they are caught vaping, you should also try to understand their reasons.
- Improve your parent-child relationship — Some teenage behaviors are caused by issues that they have difficulty talking about. Encourage your teens to talk to you, rather than resort to rebellious actions such as using e-cigarettes or consuming alcoholic drinks.
- Bribe them, if necessary — If your teen loves receiving gifts, you may offer them rewards for choosing to minimize or quit the use of e-cigarettes. In this way, they are encouraged to make healthier decisions.
- Not all punishments are equal — Punishment for vaping in school might be a lot different from punishment for using marijuana. Although both actions are wrong, your teen must understand the severity of each situation.
- Offer them support — Always express your love and support to help your teen quit vaping.
If your teen’s behavior is beyond your control, you can always reach out to us and seek professional help. We offer an extremely high level of care with our teen residential treatment program. We are ready to help your teen quit vaping. All of our teen addiction treatment programs include teen counseling, family therapy and teenage life skills support.