Teen Depression - Ultimate Guide for Parents
Key Healthcare is helping many teens in LA with teen trauma disorders treatment, teen depression treatment, teen mental health treatment, teen drug addiction treatment, and more. During the course, our medical experts identified that if the teens were access to proper care during their growing time, they would have been in much better mental health. This is why we decided to help parents with a complete guide to teen depression which talks about why teen gets depressed, the symptoms of depression, and how parents can diagnose depression and understand how they can help their depressed teens after the pandemic.
Teenage Mental Health Statistics 2022
- 67% of the world population is between 10 and 19 years old.
- 13% of the adolescent population have a mental disorder.
- 7% of the U.S teenage population have Major Depression Episodes (MDE).
- 12% of the U.S population between 12 to 17 had an MDE in 2021.
- 6% of the teenage population with MDE did not receive any treatment.
- One in five adolescents experiences depressive disorder each year.
- Studies show that depression rates increased from 8% in 2004 to 24% in 2014.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death for teenagers aged between 15 and 19.
- Other specific statistics are highlighted throughout this article.
Why has Adolescent Depression Increased?
The social impact of closed schools was felt directly by teenagers who had never known what it felt like not to attend school physically. Many of these fell into teen social issues and loneliness, resulting in depression.
How Gender and Sexuality Relates to Teenage Depression
Symptoms Of Teenage Depression
- Feeling sad or anxious
- Loss of interest in food or over-eating
- Sudden weight loss or gain
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Severe, unexplained crying spells
- Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure
- Body aches
How To Know If Teens Are Depressed
- Are you frequently feeling sad, anxious, worthless, or “ empty “?
- Are you have a lack interest in hobbies and activities you used to enjoy?
- Are you excessively irritable, frustrated, and angry on the simplest issues?
- Are you more withdrawn from your family and friends?
- Is your academic performance dropping?
- Are your eating and sleeping patterns considerably changed?
- Are you experiencing excessive fatigue and frequent memory loss?
- Do you have suicidal and self-harm thoughts?
The Warning Signs Of Teenage Depression
Furthermore, antidepressants like Xanax can stimulate the receptors in the brain that drugs of abuse bind to, so a teen with developing depression might take drugs to avoid their symptoms. One-third of adults who have a substance use disorder also suffer from depression. Too much antidepressant use can complicate diagnosis because symptoms can be similar to depression.
Teen Suicide Risk factors
Causes Of Teenage Depression in 2022
Most teens in college or school admit to indulging in drug and alcohol use. According to teenage drug use statistics studies conducted in 2016 by the American psychiatric association, approximately 45% of male and 42% of female students smoke weed or consume alcohol as a source of recreation.
What Once Depressed Teenagers Had To Say to Us
How Parents Can Help Their Teenagers With Mental Illness
Ask Specific Questions
Listen to Your Teenager
Support Your Depressed Teens
Talk About The Difficult Topics
Get Mental Health Professional Help
How Can Depression Symptoms Be Diagnosis?
Key Healthcare helps teens residing in Los Angeles, Brentwood, Santa Monica, Westwood, Pacific Palisades, or Beverly Hills fight against depression. We have Teen PHP, Teen Intensive Outpatient Program, and Teen IOP programs that work holistically on teen mental health. Our programs accept most PPO insurance plans but unfortunately are not covered by Medi-cal or Medicaid.