What Causes Teen Drug Addiction?
What Causes Teen Drug Addiction and What Causes Teen Substance Abuse?
- Peer pressure– Most teens consume drugs under the influence of their friends or classmates. Friends who already indulge in drug use act as experts on this matter and claim that consuming drugs has no harmful effects. Teens are more likely to fall for these statements coming from their friends and try substance abuse. As per the National Institute of Drug Abuse, approximately 21 percent of high school seniors have reported using marijuana in the past month.
- Insecurity– Many kids in their teens suffer from a lack of self-esteem and fear that people around them will not like them. They are insecure about their strengths and values and feel that they are not worthy of being accepted. Such teens often start consuming drugs to feel good about themselves.
- Dopamine– Consuming alcohol or marijuana releases ten times the dopamine that is usually released by our brain. This gives an instant high and makes the consumer feel good. It is an unnatural chemical released by the brain, but the brain remembers it, and therefore teens crave this euphoria again and again.
- Lack of education– Teens are highly misinformed about the effects of drug usage. Usually, they believe whatever they hear from peers, and they start to use drugs themselves, thinking that it is harmless.
- The influence of media– Media influence is one vital factor leading teens into the gateway of drug abuse. Various movies and television series make drinking and smoking look harmless and relaxed. Teens often idolize the characters they see on TV and start following their footprints without understanding the side effects. Music glamorizes drug and alcohol abuse in its lyrics.
- Escape– Teenage years are challenging for kids. Some have confidence issues, some have low grades, some have distant relationships with their parents. Every teenager’s struggle differs from another, but they all seem to find an escape from their problems through drugs. Instead of seeking emotional support, they find solace in consuming drugs.
- Experimenting– Most teens often start on their substance abuse journey as a part of an experiment. They get on this journey thinking that they will try out different drugs for some time and then leave it at their whim, but by the time they complete all their experiments, they are already addicted.
Common Signs of Teen Drug Addiction